Facials are becoming increasingly popular in the world of spa services. Of course, healthy skin is achievable with at-home methods, but many people turn to skin care professionals when they need some extra help. If you’ve never gotten a facial before, it can be difficult to know what to expect and why it’s worth your time and money. Facials are offered at many South Jersey spas, but their treatments can all differ.
One good thing to know is every treatment is tailored to your individual skin type. An experienced aesthetician will create the perfect treatment just for you. There are many reasons to want to get a facial, whether it be to get rid of acne or help with signs of aging or maybe you just want a relaxing spa day! Whatever the reason, facials are always a good option, because they are extremely beneficial to your skin health.
What happens during a facial?
A facial will cleanse, exfoliate, and nourish the skin, promoting a clean and well-hydrated complexion. Each type of facial has subtle differences, but most facials consist of four basic steps:
- Skin analysis and cleansing – involves removing makeup and dirt from the skin to prep for the facial. At ANU Medical Spa, your aesthetician will evaluate your skin’s texture, wrinkles, pores, and pigmentation. Quantitative analysis includes comparing your skin conditions with those characteristic of the same age, sex, and ethnicity.
- Exfoliating – helps rid your face of dead skin cells. Depending on the type of facial, you could receive a mechanical or a topical exfoliant. Mechanical uses a textured tool to rub away dead skin cells. Topical uses certain products (specific to your type of facial) to loosen the bond between skin cells.
- Massaging – can be done for relaxation and also helps with blood circulation and it’s a natural facelift. By massaging the soft lines around the mouth, eyes, and brows, blood and oxygen flow to the face will increase. Bringing oxygen to the face through stimulation is a natural form of anti-aging skin care in itself. It increases collagen production, which gives a natural and healthy glow.
- Applying a mask – this simply helps apply the nutrients your skin type and condition needs, which can help to soothe, calm, and leave you with a nice glow.
Why should you get a facial?
- Treat acne.
Suffering from acne is no fun at all. You can try product after product, but nothing seems to do the job. That’s where a facial comes in. Since every facial is tailored to your skin type, you can be sure you’re getting the exact products you need to see results. Additionally, the exfoliation will clear out your pores, so more pimples and blackheads will not form.
- Lower stress levels.
Pampering yourself always feels good and, from time to time, it’s important for your physical and mental health. Oftentimes, the cause of acne is stress. Facials give you the chance to relax, especially during the massage portion. Studies have shown that facial massages significantly reduce anxiety and negative moods.
- Improve blood circulation.
Poor circulation can make you look pale and sickly, and it prevents nutrients from supplementing your skin tissues. A facial massage has been found to significantly improve blood circulation and vascular function.
- Prevent skin aging.
As you age, there is a decrease in collagen production, so wrinkles and fine lines begin to appear on your skin. Additionally, when repeatedly exposed to UV radiation, your skin begins to experience photo-damage, giving you a prematurely aged look. Getting facials once a month is a great way to keep a younger looking appearance. Depending on the type of facial you get, you could be receiving nutrients that have anti-aging properties.
- Tighten up skin.
With aging comes the appearance of looser and less defined skin. As the synthesis of collagen slows down, it is common to lose skin elasticity. At ANU Medical Spa, a South Jersey spa, we offer a collagen facial that firms, plumps, and hydrates the skin. This facial will promote collagen production, tighten up your skin, and give you a more youthful appearance.
So many people have naturally dry skin for a variety of reasons. One of the most surprising reasons is long, hot showers. They may be relaxing and enjoyable, but you may actually be compromising your skin’s moisture. Properly moisturizing your skin is important, and facials can be a big help. Facials can help your skin keep a higher water content, lower transepidermal water loss, and lower sebum secretion.
This month only, ANU Medical Spa is offering specials on facials. A mini-facial with eyebrow wax is only $75 and an anti-aging facial is only $100! Visit our monthly specials page to learn more and book an appointment: https://goo.gl/5M9MVf