Winter means less sunlight, colder days, more snow – and dryer skin. Unfortunately, wintertime strips away the skin’s moisture and leaves skin itchy, dry, and red. Even worse, the skin care routine you had in place for the warmer months doesn’t seem to make any strides against tackling the dryness. We have patients come to our spa every winter looking for tips on skin care in New Jersey during the winter, so we’ve decided to share them with everyone! Here are our top five tips for fighting back against winter dry skin:
- Avoid very hot water during showers and when washing your hands. While hot water may feel great on your skin after being in the cold, it is extremely drying. Long, steamy showers and overly hot water on your hands strip away the natural oils on your skin. These oils prevent your skin from becoming too dry, so when they disappear, you’re left with cracking, itchy skin.
- Use moisturizer religiously. However, not all moisturizers are created equally. Instead of using a light summer moisturizer, you’ll want to invest in a heavier moisturizer for the winter. Look for products with ceramides and hyaluronic acid or oil-based moisturizers because they form a protective barrier around the skin and keep the moisture in. This moisturizer should be used every day and night.
- Trade at-home exfoliants for dermaplaning. Over-exfoliating your face in the winter can actually do more harm than good because you are removing all the natural oils and rubbing irritates your skin. Instead, give dermaplaning a shot. This treatment uses a surgical blade to gently scrape away all the dead skin cells, leaving you with smooth, beautiful skin. If you’re looking for this type of skin care in New Jersey, we offer dermaplaning at a special price – check it out!
- Pay attention to what’s in your products. There are too many products on the market that are harsh on the skin. Rather than using face washes and toners with alcohols and astringents, look for gentler products. Any face wash with oatmeal or camomile is great for dry skin. Also, add an antioxidant serum to your routine because it adds collagen and vitamin C to the skin to keep it plump and hydrated all winter long.
- Try a facial tailored to dry skin. Sometimes you need a little professional help to tackle dry skin, so why not make it relaxing? Look for a facial specifically tailored to dry skin, such as our hydration facial. These facials begin with an exfoliating cleanse to remove dry, dead skin. Then, the products used in the facial will hydrate and return the water content to the skin, giving you soft and hydrated skin no matter how cold the weather. Interested in this type of skin care in New Jersey? See our latest winter facials and book an appointment here.
So are you ready to tackle your dry winter skin? If you need any professional help, our skin care experts would be happy to assess your skin’s needs and provide a treatment to restore your skin’s surface to its former glory. Book an appointment online here.